SC History Trail

Kaminski House and Museum

Located at 1003 Front Street in the Georgetown Historic District, the Kaminiski House and Museum features two homes: the elaborately-preserved and furnished Kaminski House (c. 1769), and the Stewart-Parker House (c. 1740) which is one of the oldest homes in South Carolina. Both overlook the Sampit River in downtown Georgetown.

Photo Gallery
Click icon to enlarge image. Use arrow keys or
click large picture to cycle through the gallery.


Kaminski House and Museum
1003 Front Street, Georgetown, SC 29440
Map: View Map and Directions
Web Site:
Phone: 843-546-7706
Add This Site to Your Itinerary
Site Description
Built on a bluff overlooking the Sampit River in the Georgetown Historic District, the Kaminski House Museum offers visitors the opportunity to tour a well-preserved historic home from South Carolina's Colonial Era. A prominent Georgetown merchant, Paul Trapier, whose family was among the many French Huguenots who settled in South Carolina during the Colonial Era, built the house and gave it to his daughter Elizabeth on the eve of the American Revolution in 1769. Trapier, known as the "King of Georgetown", was one of the richest businessmen in South Carolina.

The house is elegantly restored and features furnishings reminiscent of lifestyle enjoyed by its owners. Various museum exhibits provide insight into the lifestyles of the affluent, when Georgetown was the seaport for South Carolina's immensely wealthy and influential rice planters' empire. The home passed through various owners over the ages until it came to the local Kaminski family. In 1972, the home's last owner, Julia Kaminski, donated it to the city.

The adjacent Stewart-Parker House is also open to visitors. A Federal-style structure built by local resident Robert Stewart in 1740, it is one of the oldest homes in South Carolina. In the late 19th century, the home was owned by a successful Georgetown businessman, Daniel Tucker. According to local tradition, President George Washington was entertained in this home when he visited Georgetown on his 1791 Southern Tour. Managed now by the Colonial Dames of America, the home is available for private functions and may be toured with admission to the Kaminski House Museum.
Access and Admission
Site Access: Public
Access Description: Mon-Sat: 10am-4pm Sunday: 1pm-4pm/Please call to confirm times.
Average Viewing Time: 1 hour
Admission: Adults $7, Ages 6-12 $3, Children under 5 are Free
Ownership: City of Georgetown
Tours and Events
Guided Tours: Guided Tours are conducted on the Hour/Phone 843-546-7706
Group Tours Group Tours and Group Rates Available
Events: The Lawn of the Kaminski House Museum is available for weddings and special occasions: $300 non-refundable user fee plus $200 refundable deposit.