SC History Trail

All Saints Episcopal Church and Cemetery

One of the oldest existing churches in South Carolina, All Saints Episcopal Church was established in the 1730s, and served as a spiritual and culture center for South Carolina’s proposerous rice-planting community until after the Civil War.

 

All Saints Episcopal Church and Cemetery
3560 Kings River Road, Pawleys Island, SC 29576
Map: View Map and Directions
Web Site: www.allsaintspawleys.org
Phone: 843-237-4223
Email: info@allsaintspawleys.org
Itinerary
Add This Site to Your Itinerary
Site Description
Established in the 1730s during the reign of King George III, All Saints Church was located in the Pawley's Island section of Waccamaw Neck - which was the heart of South Carolina's prosperous, influential rice-planting culture of the 18th and 19th centuries. It was established as a congregation of the Church of England, the official state church in Colonial America and in the British colony of South Carolina. All Saints Church was founded because local planters had difficulty attending the Anglican church in Georgetown during stormy weather, as travel on the nearby Waccamaw River was "very hazardous in blowing weather."

The church's existing Greek Revival sanctuary, built in 1917, is the fourth church building on the site and resembles an earlier mid-19th century structure that was destroyed by fire. The markers in the church cemetery reflect a "Who's Who" of the local Antebellum planter aristocracy.
Access and Admission
Site Access: Public
Access Description: Public access, scheduled tours and events during daylight hours
Tours and Events
Guided Tours: No